The chocolate cake is made from the vanilla batter, so you don’t have to prepare two completely separate batters. YAY! I wanted a suuuuuper dark chocolate stripe for contrast. I was going to use chopped chocolate, like in my marble cake, but that never gives me a very dark chocolate batter. And if I added *more* chocolate to darken the shade, the texture of the chocolate batter would be compromised. So let’s use cocoa powder.
How about a dark cocoa powder like Hershey’s special dark? Gorgeous! But since we’re adding a dry and bitter ingredient to the chocolate batter, it will dry out the cake. A little sugar and milk solved that problem. Both the vanilla cake and chocolate cake are so moist. We did it!
Oh and one more thing! I added a little espresso powder to the chocolate batter. Just to help bring out the chocolate flavor. This is an optional ingredient.
ZEBRA OIL CAKE RECIPE
Yield : 1 8 in round cake
- 2 cup plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1,5 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup = 250 ml (for liquid) or 125 g (flour)
INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Preheat oven @ 180 C and grease 8 in cake pan. .
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar until fluffy. mix in, salt, oil milk, and vanilla essence. Beat until well blended.
- Divide batter into 2, mix in cocoa powder to one portion and the balance leave it plain. .
- Spoon 3 tablespoon of plain batter into the center of the pan. Next spoon 3 tablespoon of chocolate batter into the center of plain batter, Do not spread out the batter, it will spread out by itself. Continue to alternate batter until all batter is used. .
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, invert onto rack to cool.