For the pastry crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into
1/2″ pieces (1 stick)
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 large egg mixed with 2 tablespoons milk
For the filling:
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam (see notes for link) or
your favorite flavor
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
Instructions How to Make It :
- To make the dough combine the flour, sugar and salt in the
bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the
mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the cold water and pulse just until the
dough starts to hold together. Don’t over process.
- Gather the dough together and divide in half. Form each half
into a disc. Wrap each tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30
minutes or overnight.
- To make the filling combine the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon
cold water in a small sauce pan. Whisk until smooth. Add the jam and heat over
medium until it comes to a boil. Simmer stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow it to cool until ready to use.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to rest
10-15 minutes. Lightly flour a clean work surface and dust the dough with
flour. Roll the dough to about 1/8″ thick large enough to cut into a
9″ x 12″ rectangle. Cut the 9×12 inch rectangle into 9 equal
3×4″ pieces by cutting four lines across on the 12-inch side and three
down the 9-inch side. Gather dough scraps together and set aside.
- Place the 9 individual pieces of dough on a parchment lined
- Beat together the egg and milk. Brush the egg mixture all
over the cut pastry pieces. Place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of
- Roll out the second pastry disc to the same dimensions and
cut into 9 individual pieces. Prick the dough with the tines of a fork, the
round end of a small clean paint brush or chop stick to create vent holes.
- Place each piece of vented dough over the filling. Press the
edges together firmly with a fork to seal. Repeat until all pockets are formed.
- Brush the tops of the pockets with a little bit of the egg
and milk mixture. Place the baking sheet with the uncovered pastries in the
refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gather all remaining scraps of dough and divide in half.
Roll out to 1/8″ thick and cut into additional 3×4″ pieces or use a
biscuit cutter to make round pieces. Repeat with remaining dough by filling,
brushing and refrigerating. I was able to make 6 additional small round pie
pockets with the ingredients at hand.
- Remove the pastries from the refrigerator and bake at 350
degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pastries to a wire rack and cool.
TRY THESE OTHER STRAWBERRY RECIPES >>
Source : Recipes