Stuffed zucchini with Italian sausage, marinara sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni creates the tastiest pizza stuffed zucchini boats. It’s a great gluten-free way to enjoy pizza all wrapped up in zucchini.
But today I’m stuffing zucchini with a handful of pizza ingredients for the tastiest pizza stuffed zucchini boats. Bonus – they’re naturally gluten-free, low-carb, keto and paleo friendly. And you don’t have to worry about a crust.
I’ve previously made Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats so it seemed pizza was the next best thing. I mean, who can argue with a pizza recipe that’s served up healthy inside zucchini?
This is a great weeknight recipe or great game night recipe, depending on the season. Little hands and big hands alike love these stuffed zucchini. Trust me when I say, they’ll get devoured immediately!
Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Ingredients
You can take your favorite pizza toppings and stuff them into zucchini. Here’s what’s in mine:
- Zucchini: Choose medium to large zucchini so you can stuff more filling.
- Italian Sausage: Zesty Italian sausage adds meatiness and delicious flavor.
- Marinara Sauce: You can’t have pizza without tomato sauce and my homemade marinara sauce is divine.
- Mozarella: Grate yourself some fresh mozarella for oozy, cheesy goodness.
- Pepperoni: Mini pepperoni fit perfectly on top of the zucchini and you can line up as many as will fit.
How to Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats
This recipe is incredibly easy (just like my stuffed avocados) and takes less than 30 minutes. Here’s how you make it in 8 simple steps:
- Cook the sausage on the stovetop until browned.
- Add the marinara sauce to the sausage and stir together.
- Slice the zucchini in half and scoop out the seeds, creating a well for toppings.
- Fill the zucchini with the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle mozzarella on top.
- Place pepperoni down the length of the zucchini.
- Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil before serving.
Stuffed Zucchini Variations
For my recipe, I went with a classic sausage pizza. But you can use your favorite pizza toppings and stuff them into your zucchini. Here’s a few variations and ideas for you:
- Pepperoni Pizza: fill with marinara sauce, cheese and pepperoni.
- Hawaiian Pizza: fill with marinara sauce, cheese, ham and pineapple.
- Meat Lover’s Pizza: fill with marinara sauce, sausage, meatballs, pepperoni and sautéed mushrooms.
- Barbecue Chicken Pizza: fill with this barbecue chicken mix and top with cheese and scallions.
- Vegetarian Pizza: fill with marinara sauce, roasted red peppers, baby spinach, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and olives.
As you can see, the options are endless, so have fun with it! Let me know in the comments below which topping you chose for your pizza stuffed zucchini.
And if you’re looking for more ideas on what to do with all your zucchini, check out all my Zucchini Recipes on this website. Lots of inspiration!
TRY THESE OTHER ZUCCHINI RECIPES HERE >>
Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Stuffed zucchini with Italian sausage, marinara sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni creates the best pizza stuffed zucchini boats! It’s a great gluten-free and low-carb way to enjoy pizza!
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 ounces mozarella, grated
- 24 slices pepperoni
- fresh basil, for garnish
INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Add the sausage to a pan on medium heat and use a spatula to break it up. Cook on medium heat until it’s cooked through and browned.
- Pour the marinara sauce on top of the cooked sausage and stir together. Remove from the heat.
- Slice the zucchini in half. Use a small spoon to scoop out the seeds, leaving 1/4 to 1/2-inch of flesh around the outside of the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini on a baking sheet.
- Dollop several spoonfuls of the sausage and sauce into each zucchini half, until they’re full. Top with mozzarella cheese and several slices of pepperoni.
- Bake the stuffed zucchini for 20-25 minutes, until it’s tender crisp. If you’d like softer zucchini, bake a few minutes longer.
- Serve the stuffed zucchini boats while warm and enjoy!
- I’m using an old baking sheet, but if you need a new one I always recommend a heavy duty baking sheet that doesn’t warp.
- Make sure to read all my pizza variations above to keep this recipe interesting!
Calories: 292kcal, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 14g, Fat: 24g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 61mg, Sodium: 777mg, Potassium: 528mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 424IU, Vitamin C: 21mg, Calcium: 103mg, Iron: 2mg