Sharing food I love and helping people cook fabulous food for their family and friends is what I was meant to do. I really feel like I’ve found my calling in life. And it’s because of you, all of you, who read my recipes, anecdotes about my life, share your tips, stories about your life, help other readers with suggestions, send me lovely messages and ask questions about my recipes.
- 2 – 3 tbsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning (Note 2)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb / 1 kg chicken thighs , skin on and bone in (5 pieces) (Note 1)
- 1 cup milk (I use low fat)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white wine , any (or stock or water)
- 4 cups chicken broth (stock)
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups risotto rice (arborio)
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 onion , finely diced
- Fresh thyme leaves , or finely chopped parsley, chives or oregano (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup milk (preferably warmed)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan (lightly packed)
- 2 tbsp butter
INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F (fan forced) / 200C/390F (conventional).
- Coat chicken with Lemon Pepper Seasoning, using most of it on the skin.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large oven proof fry pan (Note 3).
- Place the chicken in the pan skin side down. Cook for 3 minutes then turn the heat up to medium high and cook for a further 2 minutes or until browned. Turn and cook for 3 minutes. (Note 4)
- Remove chicken onto a plate. Discard excess oil in the pan and wipe the pan with a paper towel.
- Return the pan to the stove, still on medium high.
- Melt butter in the pan. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add rice and stir until the grains turn from white to translucent. Add wine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the wine is mostly evaporated.
- Add chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer on the stove. Give it a quick stir then place the chicken on top of the rice (pour juices on the plate in too). Then place a lid (or foil) on the pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and return to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until the rice is firm but just cooked (not mushy!) and the chicken is crispy.
- Remove the chicken from the rice. Stir through Risotto Finishes, using the milk to get the risotto to a creamy consistency.
- Return chicken on top. Serve immediately, with fresh thyme leaves and extra parmesan, if desired.