Beat the egg whites on Low speed for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to Medium Low and beat for another 30 seconds or until foamy. Add the cream of tartar. Increase the speed to Medium High and beat until the egg whites just start to thicken. Add 1/4 cup sugar gradually. Continue beating until the egg whites reach the soft peaks stage (approximately 3 minutes using a stand mixer).
In a separate bowl, add the cream cheese and milk. Mix on Low speed until creamy and smooth (approximately 2-3 minutes). Add the butter, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice and beat for 1 minute. Add the flour and corn starch and mix for another minute. Finally add the egg yolks and mix for 1 more minute. Strain the batter using a sieve.
Add 1/3 of the egg whites and gently fold into the batter until mostly incorporated. Add another 1/3 and gently fold. Add the remaining 1/3 and gently fold.
Pour the batter into the lined springform pan. Spread the batter evenly into the pan and smooth out the top using a spatula. Holding the side of the pan, gently lift and drop the pan on the counter about 6 times to remove any big air bubbles.
JAPANESE COTTON CHEESECAKE RECIPE
Yield : 1 – 8 in cake
- 250 g cream cheese
- 50 g butter
- 100 ml milk
- 60 g plain flour
- 20 g cornflour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 140 g sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolk
INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Sift together plain flour and corn flour.
- Separate 6 cold eggs put them into 2 different bowl.
- Lightly grease and line base of 8 in baking tin with baking paper including the sides.
- Melt butter, cream cheese and milk in a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir and remove from heat. Leave to cool.
- Beat eggs whites until thick. add in salt and sugar in batches until it reaches the soft peak.
- Using a whisk, mix in egg yolks to cream cheese mixture. Add in lemon juice. .
- Add in sifted flour little by little. Preheat panggangan at 150 C.
- Fold in egg whites by thirds to the flour mixture. Stir gently until well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a prepared pan and place this pan onto a larger dish. Pour hot water into the big pan about 1 in height of the cake pan.,
- Place the pan at the lowest rack and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes. Place the pan on top rack and continue baking for 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean..
- Leave the cake in the panggangan with door open for 20 minutes. Remove the cake from the panggangan and invert it onto wire rack.