Love creamy pasta but need a dairy-free option? Try this delicious Dairy-Free Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo recipe that uses coconut milk, garlic, lemon juice, and shallots to create a rich, flavor-packed sauce. You can even make it vegan by skipping the chicken and using vegetable stock.
for 4 servings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- 3 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 2 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divded
- ¾ lb fettuccine pasta, uncooked (340 g)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 6 garlics, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 13.5 oz coconut milk(400 mL)
- 1 cup chicken stock, or vegetable stock (240 mL)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- fresh parsley, minced, to taste
INSTRUCTION HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Season the chicken all over with 1½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chicken breasts, 2 at a time, and cook for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown. Add more olive oil, if needed, and Flip and cook on the other side for 4-5 minutes more, until golden brown and the internal temperature reads 165ºF (75˚C). Remove from the pan, set aside, and cover to keep warm while you repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once at a rolling boil, generously salt the water then add the fettuccine. Cook according to the package instructions. Drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots and garlic, season with a pinch of salt, and cook until the shallot is translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and whisk for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Add the coconut milk and chicken stock. Bring up to a low boil and cook for about 1 minute, then reduce the heat to low-medium and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with the remaining 2 teaspoons salt and 1½ teaspoons pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the fettuccine and toss well to coat. Slice the chicken.
- Divide the pasta between bowls and top with the chicken. Garnish with parsley and serve.