The key to these gooey bars is not to over bake them. I have always baked this recipe for 30 minutes. Never more, never less.
This gives the bars a very slightly crunchy top and sides, but the center of the bars stay soft and gooey.
All ovens bake differently though, so this could affect the bars. We have lived in different places over the years, and I have baked them in so many different ovens, but I still stick with the 30 minutes.
CONGO BARS RECIPE
Yield : 18 bars
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 125 g butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almond
- 3/4 cup chocolate rice/chips
- 1/4 cup almond strips
- 1/4 cup chocolate rice/chips for topping
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 large eggs
INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Preheat oven @ 170 C and grease 9 x 13 or 7.5 x 11 in pan.
- Whisk together both flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar umtil combined. Add in egg one by one, add vanilla essence.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stir well.
- Mix in almond and chocolate rice/chips.
- Pour mixture onto prepared pan and level top, sprinkle with almond strip and chocolate rice/chips.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- When completely cool, cut into squares.
TRY THESE OTHER RECIPES HERE >>
PIN THESE RECIPES ON PINTEREST !