Chicken Parmesan Crescent Bread – Sometimes the best meals are created by accident or necessity. This one started with necessity as I stared at some leftover shredded chicken that I needed to use. After continuing to dig through my fridge, I saw the crescent dough and suddenly got inspired to make this filled Chicken Parmesan Croissant Bread. To keep things simple, I just tossed the chicken with marinara sauce, added some cheese, and filled the bread. It really couldn’t be easier. And the results are well worth the little work it does take.
The trickiest part of making this bread is creating the braid. But believe me, although it may look hard, it is really simple. Once you have laid out your crescent dough, you are going to cut lines in the dough along both sides using a pizza cutter. The trick is to make sure you leave enough space in the middle for the filling. Then the cut sides will be braided over the top of the filling. Use the below picture to help.
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups Muir Glen™ organic roasted garlic pasta sauce (from 25.5-oz jar)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent dough sheet or 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Instructions How to Make It :
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray. In medium bowl, mix mozzarella cheese, chicken, 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; mix well.
- If using dough sheet, unroll dough, and place on cookie sheet to form 13×7-inch rectangle. If using crescent rolls, unroll dough and place on cookie sheet, pressing to form 13×7-inch rectangle and firmly pressing perforations to seal.
- Spread chicken mixture in 3 1/2-inch-wide strip lengthwise down center of dough all the way to ends. Make cuts 1 inch apart on each side of rectangle just to edge of filling. Alternating from side to side, fold cut strips of dough at an angle halfway across filling, slightly overlapping ends.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High 20 to 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in Italian seasoning and garlic powder; brush mixture on top of braided crescent dough. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until deep golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. In small, microwavable bowl, heat remaining 1 cup pasta sauce covered on High 30 to 60 seconds or until warmed through. Serve with crescent braid.