This gluten-free chicken broccoli rice casserole is my family’s favorite casserole. I’ve been making it for 15 years! My boys love the broccoli and cheese the most!
I love that it is a naturally gluten-free recipe, so I didn’t have to make changes to it when we had to go gluten-free. The best part is that this is a great meal to make ahead and put in the freezer.
There have been so many times in my life when I’ve been thankful to have some healthy, hearty meals stocked in my freezer.
Freezer meals were a lifesaver when I had a newborn baby, sick kids, when I was recovering from surgery or one of my children was recovering from surgery, or when I was so sick before my celiac diagnosis and couldn’t cook for my family. All of those times, I was thankful for being able to pull a meal out of the freezer to defrost, then bake for an easy dinner.
- 5 cups shredded chicken
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter
- 6 cups cooked long grain brown rice or basmati rice
- 16 oz. (4 cups) cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 3 heads fresh broccoli
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Precook your rice to yield 6 cups of cooked rice. Precook your chicken and shred, to yield 5 cups shredded chicken.
- Spray three 8×8″ oven and freezer safe baking pans (glass, aluminum, foil, or Gladware oven pans) with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter. Once melted, add the cooked rice, sliced mushrooms, garlic, milk and half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Cook over medium heat until the cheese is all melted.
- Add the broccoli, chicken, salt and garlic powder and cook over medium heat, for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and divide the mixture evenly in the three baking pans. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the three pans.
- Seal the containers, label and put in the freezer, or bake immediately.
- When ready to bake, thaw completely, remove any lids, and preheat oven to 350°. Bake until casserole is heated throughout and broccoli is tender, about 30 minutes.
TRY THESE OTHER RECIPES >>
PIN IT TO PINTEREST !!