This easy sausage and egg breakfast bake recipe is perfect to throw something together for a crowd. After quickly cooking the sausage and spinach, add the rest of the ingredients to a baking pan, put it in the oven, and you’re done! This recipe is also great for meal prep; bake on a Sunday night, cut it into pieces, wrap in foil, and keep it the fridge for a few days.
for 12 servings
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, casings removed, crumbled (455 g)
- 8 scallions, chopped, whitelight green parts and dark green parts divided
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced, divided
- 8 cups fresh spinach, packed (320 g)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups whole milk(480 mL)
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 8 cups day-old country white bread (280 g)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (200 g)
- ½ cup chicken stock(120 mL)
- ½ cup heavy cream(120 mL)
INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Add the breakfast sausage to a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking up with a spatula until no longer pink, 7-8 minutes.
- Add the white and light green scallions, ½ of the bell pepper, and ½ of the spinach. Sauté for 2 minutes, until the spinach is wilted, then add the rest of the spinach and continue cooking until wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, and garlic powder. Add the milk and whisk to incorporate.
- Grease a 9 (22 cm) x 13-inch (33 cm) glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Add the cubed bread to the baking dish. If you don’t have day-old bread, spread the cubed bread on a baking sheet and dry out in a 300˚F (150˚C) oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 cup (100 G) of shredded cheese over the bread, then evenly spread the sausage mixture on top. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage mixture. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine the chicken stock and heavy cream.
- Pour over the chilled bake. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese and remaining bell pepper over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until the custard is set and the cheese is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the dark green scallions, then slice and serve.